I hurt someone I love last week, and I didn't mean to. And in response to that, I immediately became defensive and self-righteous and judgmental.
I am ashamed of that. I'm embarrassed to admit it. But there it is.
It has been heavy on my mind because I've noticed it's an epidemic these days.
So, in an effort to open eyes {and ears}, I am coming clean: I am not a good listener. In fact, I really suck at listening to and hearing others when they talk to me.
I'm still working things out in my head with this information, but listening is a skill I desperately want and need to learn.
I am realizing that the most dangerous thing in a {healthy} relationship is not: anger, frustration, jealousy, impatience.
It's not being heard, especially when someone is yelling with their heart to be heard, and only heard.
If only we can all learn to be listeners, then maybe we can stop the chain reactions of hurt, resentment, and defensiveness. Think about how much better all relationships would be if we could offer each other understanding, love, and openness instead.
Monday, October 19, 2015
How to Save a Life
Posted by Misty at 4:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment