Okay, that's from a Miss Pattycake song.... It just popped into my head!
This is just another story to demonstrate how darn sweet my Zee is! I decided that we could make some cake yesterday because I heard that you could use cake mix with soda. Instead of mixing all of the ingredients called for on the back of the box, you just pour in a can of soda instead, then bake as directed. I wanted to try out this theory, and I happened to have purchased a box of chocolate cake mix just for this purpose.
But...I couldn't find the mix anywhere. Zee asked me what I was looking for, so I told her I was looking for the cake mix. So she said, "Mommy, you can use my cake mix!" Then she ran out of the kitchen. I had no idea what she was talking about but thought, okay, she can go get her "cake mix" for me.
Then she came running back and said she couldn't find her cake mix either. So I continued searching and didn't think again about her mix. But a few minutes later, she yelled, "I found it!" And she came running to me...with her toy whisk.
She handed it to me so solemnly and said, "You can use my mix, Mommy."
And it just about broke my heart with the sweetness of it. Oh my...what am I going to do with that girl?! She has such a compassionate heart, and it makes my heart full to see it and experience it.
And May? She is just as sweet and cuddly as ever. She loves to snuggle and will sit on my lap all day long, if I allowed her to. She started walking about a month and a half ago, so she's quite busy and on the go. But I love how she takes time out of her day to love on whoever happens to be around. She is quickly creeping up on her first birthday, and I've been feeling very weepy. It's so bittersweet to watch my children grow.... I love this baby stage so very much, and I can't imagine ever being ready to leave it behind. But at the same time, I love watching my girls grow and learn and become their own little women. It absolutely amazes me to see such distinct personalities in my two little girls. I never realized the extent to which it was possible for my body to carry unique people. I guess I always thought of children as an extension of their parents, but I'm realizing more and more that's not the case. Jay and I can guide our children, but in the end, they are unique in all the world (isn't that a line from Le Petit Prince?). We can plant the seeds in them, but we can't make it grow.
All of this is really humbling to me, and it's definitely something I try to keep in mind while I raise my children. Because when the days are long and the frustration grows, I have to remember -- they are people too. And the most special people at that. I just hope that I can nurture them in all the ways they need to be nurtured, but also let them lead themselves when the need that freedom. It's really very hard work, especially when I want to hold them close forever.
Monday, August 17, 2009
This and That, Copy Cat
Posted by Misty at 7:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment